William Fry continues to be the Firm of choice for significant and complex funds work in Ireland, consolidating our work with large global players and increasing the number of large asset manager clients. Our leading position is emphasized both by our client list and through the number of leading expert lawyers at William Fry. Our leading position reflects our strength and depth of expertise, the experience of our team, as well as the calibre of our clients and the transactions on which we advise.
The Best Funds Lawyer 2015 Award was given to William Fry in recognition of its Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) team’s prominence in the European market and their involvement in nearly every significant ETF deal in recent times.
William Fry’s Investment Funds team:
- Is one of the largest dedicated funds teams in Dublin with 9 Partners.
- As at 30 June 2016 William Fry advised 526 Irish domiciled funds with in excess of US$329bn of assets under management;
- Was the only Irish law firm to grow its market share in Irish funds with a 23% increase in 2014 (Monterey Insights 2014) and developed this further with another 10% increase in 2015. We saw continued growth in 2016;
- Has a Blue Chip client base, we advise:
- 3 of the top 6 ranked promoters/investment managers of Irish domiciled funds by assets;
- 5 of the 10 largest administrators of Irish domiciled funds by assets;
- 6 of the 10 largest custodians of Irish domiciled funds by assets;
- Has unrivalled expertise in the fastest growing investment fund sector (“Exchange Traded Funds”) ETFs;
- Advises over 80% of all Irish domiciled ETFs with over US$60bn assets under management advising 3 of the top 5 global ETF providers;
- Is at the forefront of innovation and cutting edge developments:
- creating the first Europe wide clearing system for ETFs;
- the first conversion of an Irish Plc to an ICAV
- advising on the establishment of an equity fund investing directly in mainland China;
- advising hedge fund managers on launching some of the first products on Independent AIFM Platforms;
- developing passively hedged share class structures in a number of ETFs.
- Our Partners are all recognised industry leaders in their fields:
- Tara O’Reilly and Dan Morrissey have served as elected members to the Council of the Irish Funds (“IF”), the fund’s industry association group and Tara was an invited member of the EFAMA ETF working group; and
- We also serve on 10 separate IF working groups including Legal, Hedge Funds, Private Equity, International Tax, Capital Markets Union and Events, responsible for raising and developing Ireland’s profile as a leading fund domicile.