Liam is Head of William Fry’s Projects & Construction Department and has been a Partner in the Firm since 2000. He specialises in the structuring of complex projects across all sectors and has played a significant role in many of the largest capital projects undertaken in Ireland. He is particularly used to leading and managing multi-disciplinary teams in large projects. He advises clients on liability and insurance in the context of projects and on statutory process issues. Liam has been a member of the Firm's Executive Committee since 2011.
Recent significant transactions include:
- Leading the William Fry team advising Hines on its acquisition of the Project River Student Accommodation Portfolio (during the course of construction) .
- Leading the William Fry team who advised Blackpitts LP on the site acquisition, financing and development of a 202 bed hotel in Blackpitts Dublin to be operated as the first Starwood Aloft branded hotel in Ireland and the first hotel to be constructed in Dublin post the financial crisis
- Advising Aerie Pharmaceuticals on the development of their new pharma manufacturing plant in Athlone
- Advising EFIV Irish Property ICAV on the development of two major blocks of student accommodation at Point Access Campus, Dublin comprising c.950 student beds
- Leading the William Fry team advising Parnell Square Foundation on all aspects of the procurement of the new City Library for Dublin including the regeneration of the Parnell Square Cultural Quarter.
- Leading the William Fry team who advised on the development, financing and pre let of the c.5,600 sq metre LXV Building on St. Stephen’s Green to AerCap and subsequent sale to Hines. This was the first new office block developed in Dublin post the financial crisis
According to sources in Chambers Europe 2016, impressed clients say Liam is an "excellent practitioner who knows something about everything - he understands banking, finance, property, probate and so many areas of law that he brings an amazing mind to the table and pierces through any issues to find an easy solution." Market commentators say: "He is knowledgeable and hard-working, and has the ability to pull in the experts required for each aspect of the project, co-ordinating things well."
Legal 500 EMEA, 2015 stated that Liam "fits seamlessly into the decision-making structure of projects". While sources informed Chambers Europe, 2015 that "if we need anything done, we turn to him. He makes sure that we are provided with the expertise we need in the field."
In Chambers Europe, 2014, department head Liam McCabe draws wide recognition for his non-contentious construction practice, offering domestic and international clients "a fantastic overview of a broad range of matters, be they commercial, legal or technical."
In Chambers Europe, 2013, Liam is praised for his 'willingness to get involved and help resolve situations before they become full-scale disputes.'
Liam is an Associate of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Related Practice Areas