Fiona oversees both the defence of clinical negligence claims and also regulatory matters involving medical practitioners on behalf of the Medical Protection Society. She also advises on defamation and general commercial litigation.
Fiona has vast experience of defamation, privacy, social media and reputation management. In the area of defamation she has unparalleled experience of both pre and post publication for the print and TV sectors. She acted for Associated Newspapers (Ireland) Limited in what is regarded as the seminal decision on the law of privacy in Ireland Herrity v Associated Newspapers (Ireland) Limited IEHC249. Fiona has secured work from larger media organisations for whom she continues to act including RTÉ, Sky and the BBC.
She also holds a qualification in arbitration and is a CEDR accredited mediator.
Recent significant work includes:
- Acting for Medical Protection Society in the defence of medical negligence actions, mediation of claims, attending Inquests, advising on regulatory and ethical issues and on complaints to the Medical Council, Ombudsman and the HSE
- Acting for a US laboratory in the defence of a significant number of claims arising from the CervicalCheck controversy
- Acting for the Veterinary Defence Society in the defence of veterinary negligence actions
- Advising Associated Newspapers on pre-publication and post-publication issues, including the first case on the law of privacy in this jurisdiction
- Acting for a pharmaceutical company in the defence of a claim in relation to clinical negligence and product liability and reputation management
- Advising UTV Ireland and the BBC on various matters
- Advising the BBC in the defence of High Court claims and on pre-publication matters.
Fiona is a member of the IBA, the Dublin Solicitors Bar Association and the Medico-Legal Society of Ireland.