John specialises in advising on regulated and unregulated fund structures including UCITS, ETFs, hedge funds, real estate, private equity and credit funds.
He also advises on the full spectrum of regulatory issues impacting the asset management sector including: licensing, segregated mandates, governance requirements, outsourcing, acquiring transaction clearance, conduct of business issues, client assets and product governance and distribution.
John was previously a London based senior lawyer with HSBC Global Asset Management advising on its European fund and managed account offerings and regulatory change projects.
John’s recent work has included advising:
- a global insurer on the establishment and unit-linked distribution of a passive strategy UCITS Common Contractual Fund platform;
- on Brexit related contingency planning and regulatory solutions for a range of financial institutions;
- on the establishment of an Irish MiFID distribution and advisory firm;
- UCITS money market funds and their service providers on the Money Market Fund Regulation;
- a global asset manager on a material outsourcing of middle and back office functions; and
- a UK credit specialist on the establishment of an umbrella qualifying investor AIF engaging in a range of alternative credit strategies.
John is a member of the Irish Funds MiFID II Working Group and served as a representative on the European Fund and Asset Management Association’s Distribution and Investor Protection Group. He is also a member of the Association of Compliance Officers Ireland.