Ruairi has expertise in corporate restructurings (solvent and insolvent), insolvency (contentious and non-contentious) and commercial litigation. He frequently advises clients on large scale transactions and reorganisations that are implemented with the sanction of the Irish High Court and as part of his litigation practice acts for parties in complex commercial litigation and contentious insolvency matters. Ruairi’s insolvency expertise also includes advising the various stakeholders in insolvency scenarios including office holders (receivers, liquidators, examiners), directors, shareholders and creditors.
Recent significant work includes advising:
- Kieran Wallace as Examiner of Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA, Arctic Aviation Assets and other Norwegian Air companies on the multi-billion euro, cross border restructuring of the Norwegian Air group
- Ballantyne Re plc on an Irish law scheme of arrangement to restructure US$1.65bn of New York law governed notes;
- Skillsoft Group on the Irish law aspects of its restructuring through a US Chapter 11 proceeding;
- the Investor Compensation Company DAC as a key stakeholder in the ongoing liquidations of Custom House Capital Limited and Money Markets International Stockbrokers Limited;
- CBL Insurance Europe DAC on the liquidation of its principal reinsurer and its consequent administration under Irish law;
- PK Airfinance SARL in the share enforcement against certain Irish entities in the Alitalia group structure;
- Airplanes Group on its long term wind down and the appointment of liquidators following the conclusion of litigation in New York; and
- CPL Resources plc, King Digital Entertainment plc and Innocoll Holdings plc on the successful implementation of High Court approved takeover schemes of arrangement.
Ruairi lectures on the Law Society of Ireland’s professional training courses, is a member of the Law Reform Sub-Committee of the Irish Society of Insolvency Practitioners and is a member of the Insolvency Sub-Committee of the Company Law Review Group and contributed to recent reports resulting in the Companies (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Covid-19) Act 2020 and proposals for a small company administrative rescue scheme.
Listen to Ruairi as he joins the Debtwire Europe podcast to discuss if Dublin’s dream to become a European restructuring hub could become a reality. Listen to the podcast here.