William Fry hosted a special evening talk followed by a reception featuring a panel of some of the best-known Irish sports stars. The event, on Thursday 23rd January, focused on the challenges and perceptions facing women in sport today, as well as what needs to be done to increase the visibility of women’s sports.
There was a panel discussion on the evening featuring a range of Irish sports personalities, including:
- Ruth Fahy, former WNL soccer player, current football pundit and Trainee at William Fry
- Vera Pauw, former Dutch football coach and player, and current Republic of Ireland women’s national football team manager
- Nora Stapleton, former Ireland women’s rugby union international and current Sport Ireland, Women in Sport Lead
- Mick Bohan, current Dublin ladies football manager
- Carolyn Hayes, Olympic hopeful, Irish Triathlete of the Year and 11 times Irish National Champion
MC for the evening was Rob Hartnett, CEO of Sport for Business, a professional network with the aim of connecting leaders in the sports industry with those in the business community so that both sides can work smarter together.
Commenting on the event, Mr. Hartnett said: “I’m delighted to be hosting ‘The Tipping Point for Women’s Sport’ event with William Fry. It is vital to keep the topic of women in sport at the forefront in 2020 and I am looking forward to hearing insights from such an experienced sporting panel over the course of what I’m sure will be a great evening.”
Ruth Fahy, football pundit and Trainee at William Fry said; “I was honoured to take part in this event alongside such an accomplished group of sports people. As a current Trainee in William Fry, I am delighted to be given the opportunity to share my own experiences as a woman in sports broadcasting and to discuss where I feel women’s sport is headed in the future.”