Laura advises on all aspects of work involving patents, trade marks, copyright, designs and confidential information and has extensive experience in large-scale litigation before the Irish Commercial Court. She is particularly experienced in complex multi-jurisdictional patent disputes and has acted in many of the patent cases that have come before the Irish Court in recent years. Laura also has significant experience in acting for regulators in defending judicial review actions, statutory appeals and other legal challenges.
Laura has particular expertise in the pharmaceutical, biotech and medical device sector from a regulatory, commercial and intellectual property perspective and is head of the Firm’s Life Sciences, MedTech and Healthcare Group. Other areas of expertise include regulatory and other issues in the fields of telecommunications, broadcast media, and advertising and marketing.
Laura has maintained Tier 1/ Gold/ Leading Individual status for Intellectual Property and Life Sciences in all leading directories for many years. She has also been listed as one of Managing IP’s Global Top 250 Women in IP since its inception.
Significant cases include:
- acting for Eli Lilly in Commercial Court proceedings seeking revocation of a Novartis patent and in the defence of infringement proceedings (including a competition law counterclaim against Novartis) with respect to Lilly’s product, Taltz®/ixekizumab for the treatment of psoriasis.
- acting for ViiV Healthcare in Commercial Court patent infringement proceedings against Gilead Sciences in respect of an anti-retroviral HIV treatment (Biktarvy®/Bictegravir) and in the defence of Gilead’s counterclaim for invalidity.
- Acting for Skyscanner in defending Commercial Court proceedings by Ryanair and in a competition law counterclaim against Ryanair
- acting for Genentech in its Commercial Court SPC patent infringement proceedings against Amgen in respect of an anti-VEGF antibody used in the treatment of cancer.
- acting for Eli Lilly Commercial Court in patent revocation proceedings in respect of a patent owned by Eisai Pharmaceuticals relating to the treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease. ;
- acting for Merck Sharpe Dohme (MSD) in the defence of Commercial Court patent infringement proceedings brought by Bristol-Myers Squibb / Ono Pharmaceuticals / Tasuko Honjo relating to anti-PD-1 antibodies in the treatment of cancer and MSD’s product, KEYTRUDA and in MSD’s counterclaim for invalidity
- acting for Boehringer Ingelheim in the defence of two sets of Commercial Court proceedings brought by Teva Pharmaceuticals, seeking the revocation of a patent and a supplementary protection certificate in relation to a respiratory product;
- acting for GSK in Commercial Court patent infringement proceedings against Pfizer in relation to a MenB vaccine and in defence of Pfizer’s counterclaim for invalidity;
- acting for GSK in Commercial Court trade mark infringement and passing off proceedings against Rowex Limited in relation to an asthma inhaler product;
- advising Boston Scientific in the defence of Commercial Court patent infringement proceedings relating to coronary stents brought by OrbusNeich and in a counterclaim for invalidity of the patents at issue;